[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Thu May 23 14:52:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013, at 10:42, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> If zone.tab has political problems, could we maintain this information
> in another format? I don't see that a list of which timezones are in
> use in a region is at all political - Asia/Taiwan for instance could
> happily be listed both for .tw and .cn. This would satisfy the pytz
> use cases, as well as other systems needing a cheap mechanism for
> narrowing down timezone selection choices.

Back on the subject of Jerusalem...

While looking up some information about ISO 3166 for background for this
discussion, I noticed that ISO 3166-2 lists "Jerusalem" regions for both
countries: IL-JM and PS-JEM. If we _must_ list Jerusalem in zone.tab
(rather than simply using Tel_Aviv and Ramallah, respectively, which I
still think is the best solution as it simply avoids making any
comment), maybe it should therefore be listed in both.

(ISO 3166-2 also lists Taiwan as CN-71, though it does not list the
mainland territories administered by the PRC under TW - this would
suggest listing Asia/Taipei under both countries, but not Asia/Beijing.)