[tz] Local time from lat, lon and UTC

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Fri Nov 15 00:34:55 UTC 2013

On Nov 14, 2013 3:33 AM, "dusan pecek" <dusan.pecek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, not sure if this is the right place but I will ask anyhow.
> I am interested in calculation of local time from lat, lon and UTC (ZULU).
> It basically means that local time in the past can be calculated.
> Does your database enable to do that.

I for one think this list is a fine place to ask that question.

The links I've seen others post in reply cover the answer, but to
summarize, the zoneinfo database is necessary but not sufficient.

It documents the rules for timezone changes, including but not limited to
summer time AKA "daylight savings" for regions that share a common rule.
The key for lookups in this database is often of the form continent/city,
e.g. I'm in America/New_York. Most rules have many keys.

But a separate database (and separate code) is needed to learn what rule
covers (or contains) a given location as might be specified by latitude and
longitude.