[tz] 2013g - Morocco

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 07:36:36 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
>> I'm actually not 100% sure if we can still use the tz database for year
>> >2038 and beyond, or if the tz database has no support / desire for make it
>> >work beyond 2038.
> We do want to support far-future dates, but unfortunately there's
> currently no way to represent rules based on calendars other than
> the Gregorian calendar.  Currently we list these rules by hand,
> year by year, cutting the rules off after 32-bit signed time_t
> values roll over, since we can't go on*forever*, and platforms
> with 32-bit signed time_t don't benefit from entries after the rollover.

Of cause while the number of people affected by 'pre-history' dates with time is
not so great, nowadays the 2038 rollover has to be taken seriously, and anybody
still stuck with software affected by it needs to be considering the problem.
With mortgages and pension dates for many people well beyond this any mainstream
system that has not already switched to 64 bit timestamps are already unusable?
And while we know that DST data could probably change in the interveaning 25
years, legal documents do tend to work to an exact time in the future. But they
are probably not using time_t anyway for storage ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL