[tz] Dealing with Pre-1970 Data

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Sep 1 23:38:13 UTC 2013

Guy Harris wrote:
> So if "LMT" is the time zone abbreviation for a given date/time value, whoever's doing the conversion needs to do their own calculation based on the longitude, rather than using any of the data from the tzdb.
>
> Is that what you're saying?

Spot on ...
And as I had said before - I was surprised at Paul suggesting adding LMT to the
database because it's a reasonably accurate calculating rather than some guess
at a random fixed value ... No need for hundreds of new 'zones' because we are
back to more linear time. But in the absence of a more accurate guide, using the
LMT from the centre of a 15 degree zone is the next 'phase', which I've tagged
in my own mind as LMTZ. That I think was what Paul was contemplating rather than
LMT itself as a default value?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL