[tz] Dealing with Pre-1970 Data

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Sep 2 05:58:52 UTC 2013

Lester Caine wrote:

> I was surprised at Paul suggesting adding LMT to the
> database because it's a reasonably accurate calculating
> rather than some guess at a random fixed value ... No need
> for hundreds of new 'zones'

Sorry, I was unclear.  I wasn't suggesting that we add LMT
to the database, any more than is already there as a
placeholder for "before standard time".  My "thousands of
new zones" was referring only to the number of zones I expect
we'd need to cover standard time comprehensively.  There is a
daunting complexity to standard time before 1970.