[tz] State of the tzdb

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue Sep 3 15:18:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013, at 10:46, Paul Eggert wrote:
> No, it's not an artifact  zone.tab was never intended to
> be a definitive delination of sub-country regions,
> and it does not have that role now, either.
>
> Kansas is split into two time zones, for example,
> but we don't have two entries for it in zone.tab --
> the people in Kansas can use America/Denver or America/Chicago
> as appropriate.  The situation for Indiana is similar:
> people in (say) Gary can use America/Chicago.

You're being unnecessarily aggressive when all I was doing was pointing
out two facts:
A) the description for America/Phoenix said "Arizona"
B) there was no indication in America/Denver that it did not apply to
parts of Arizona.

I could go back further and point out that (back when the names were
self-explanatory) they were called "US/Arizona" (again, implying in the
absence of anything else that it would be all of arizona) and "Navajo"