[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Sep 5 14:24:02 UTC 2013

On 5 September 2013 15:15, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>> pre-1970 data for
>> the existing set of IDs should remain in the main files
>
> That doesn't follow.  If the main files currently have a link,
> and we want to turn this into a zone only because of pre-1970
> data, we want to keep it a link in the main file, so that we
> can support existing implementations that are based on the
> typical current practice.

I think we agree that most end consumers of the data cannot tell the
difference between a Link and a Zone. As such, from their perspective
it is very odd to find that some IDs are allowed pre-1970 data and
others are not.

Furthermore, had someone provided detailed pre-1970 data for
America/Aruba a year ago, I think you would have accepted it. Yet you
are arguing that now you've made it a Link you can no longer accept
it. I would suggest that isn't logical or best practice.

Stephen