[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 14:49:56 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
>> pre-1970 data for
>> >the existing set of IDs should remain in the main files
> That doesn't follow.  If the main files currently have a link,
> and we want to turn this into a zone only because of pre-1970
> data, we want to keep it a link in the main file, so that we
> can support existing implementations that are based on the
> typical current practice.

Isn't this exactly the situation I've just hit? How do I get that information in.

Is there any problem with adding extra RULES in the relevant file if that is
what is needed to complete the picture? Identifying additional rules is always
going to be a problem, but may well be using other data from the same file?

It's the VISIBILITY of these additional identifiers which is the problem. Is
there no way to add something which existing zic scripts will simply ignore.
Personally I'd prefer that was timestamps, but perhaps we have to resort to
commented lines with a special purpose?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL