[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 5 16:31:46 UTC 2013

Lester Caine wrote:
> With the proposed use in browsers then that will change.

I'm afraid that any solution requiring all browsers
to agree about time zone data is doomed to failure,
for reasons already discussed.  My example of
the solar eclipse in Ft. Liard in June 19, 1964
was intended to stand as an example of an application
needing accurate-to-the-second time stamps for random
locations before 1970.  You're right that it's not the
only example, but the point is that any application
that requires these values to be accurate or precise
will run into the previously-mentioned problems,
independently of all the changes that are being proposed.

PS.  Perhaps I should mention that as far as Ft. Liard was
concerned, the solar eclipse occurred the previous day,
and wasn't visible at Ft. Liard.  I wouldn't want people to
worry about our data quality based just on this example....