[tz] tz dependency lat & lng

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Thu Sep 5 21:27:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013, at 17:16, Guy Harris wrote:
> If all you have is longitude and latitude, you're going to have to do a
> geometric search.  There might not *be* a place record for where you are,
> and, even if there is, it won't necessarily have a tag.  They claim to
> have 105 places tagged with America/New_York; to quote
>
> 	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_New_York

I don't know why you're quoting that article.

I suspect the majority of locations tagged with America/New_York are A)
states that are entirely (or almost entirely) in eastern time and B)
counties in states that are on the border between it and central time.
Not small locations within New York State, which isn't even the New York
that the timezone is named for.