[tz] Extended data format

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Sep 5 21:37:22 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert said:
>> I guess such =zone references should refer to a zone earlier in the same file to keep things simple
>
> But order is not supposed to matter in zic input.
> The man page says "Except for continuation lines,
> lines may appear in any order in the input."
> It's probably better to continue in that tradition,
> even if it's a bit harder to implement.

Right.

We are long past the days when forward references were hard to compute. The
computer can do the work of a two-pass algorithm if it has to. Make it easy
for users to write rather than forcing arbitrary-looking rules.

(There are algorithms for detecting loops, so that's not an argument
either.)

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.