[tz] data not represented in tzfiles

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 6 14:31:07 UTC 2013

Zefram wrote:
> If zic is to retain the logic for the 400 year hack,
> it ought to be the robustified form of the hack.

Fair enough.  But then I have a question about the
change.  It increases the window from 400 to 402
years.  Is that part of the change needed?  As I understand
it, it's to avoid coalescing (say) a 399-year run
of a rule to an adjacent one-off that *happens*
to look like the extension of the rule.  But is there
really any harm to that?  Such coalescing is what we
already do, when preparing the input data.