[tz] US osm timezone

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 22:09:16 UTC 2013

Guy Harris wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2013, at 2:06 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Zf
>> Will take a couple of minutes then ask about large data set.
>>
>> OK US timezone areas need a bit of a tidyup which was why this was taking so long :(
>> I'd certainly be looking to clean up all the little areas back to the bigger boundaries if that is possible, and adding the missing zones ...
>> But THAT is the whole point, we can simply edit this data ourselves.
>
> Or we could add the actual tzdb zone bounaries to OSM as relations.  Querying *that* probably won't take as long.
The query being run is on the left. It's looking for all nodes, ways and
relations with a tag of timezone. We can probably ignore nodes anyway, and the
few ways are questionable since they may not create a closed area. I took off
the first to XML blocks just leaving relations block.

> BTW, it displayed a map with parts of it colored yellow; to what do the yellow and white regions in that map correspond?
The yellow areas were the found timezones. Click on them to get the details.
There were circles which flag the nodes. The white areas are missing timezone
tags :( Which is why Louiseville is not giving one.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL