[tz] version information in tz binary file?

Ephraim Silverberg ephraim at cse.huji.ac.il
Mon Sep 9 07:10:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013, Paul Eggert wrote:

> would copy the value of VERSION into the zic output file.
>
> Do you think this is a good idea?

>From my experience from the last 24 hours, I think this
would be a good idea.

The DST rules that existed in Israel a year ago, put the
end of DST as yesterday (September 8).  Since then, the
DST rules have been amemded twice (November 2012 and
July 2013).  Hence, I have been getting e-mails from some
people who have a mix of zic output files on their systems
with three different change dates (Sep. 8, Oct. 6 and the
correct, Oct. 27).

A embedded version string would simplify sorting out the
various binaries (as opposed to having to check explicit
dates usings "zdump -v -c 2014 FILENAME").