[tz] Proposal to restrict field separator to tab

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 10:58:16 UTC 2013

Tobias Conradi wrote:
> This is a proposal to restrict field separator to tab
>
> Current seems to be:
> "any number of white space characters"
>
> Reason:
> More than one person in 2013 alone reported problems parsing the data.
>
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2013-May/019160.html
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2013-September/020189.html
>
> One person in 2013 assumes the current statement means something
> different from its English language meaning
>
> / Actually, "one or more" seems to be meant rather than "any number" /
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2013-May/019160.html

As someone who would benefit from that change, I'm still a little look warm.
Use of 'tab' in the ZONE line would make pulling apart easy, but then the follow
on lines need different handling. It is nice that these documents 'reads' nicely
looking down the page, but removing a tab from the follow on lines to keep the
fields in order will then make things messy as a text document.

That said, I am using the tab on these lines to indicate how that line is
handled, so a space there would cause a problem anyway, and I drop the 'extra'
field to line things up again ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL