[tz] New 'Theory' section "Accuracy of the tz database"

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 17 01:32:35 UTC 2013

Lester Caine wrote:
> why would there be 'thousands' of new timezones?

Because, if one defines a "region" to be "a set of geographical
locations where civil-time clocks have agreed since standard time
was introduced", there must be thousands of such regions, each
unique as far as UT-offset history goes.  Shanks identifies
over 300 such regions for Indiana alone, and most likely he
missed some.  (Again, I'm ignoring UT offset before standard time
was introduced, and I'm ignoring the date of transition to standard
time.)