[tz] draft of change summary for next tz release

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 18 01:55:59 UTC 2013

David Patte ₯ <dpatte at relativedata.com> writes:

> Yes, but you are removing transition dates from LMT. Thats the loss of
> data that concerns me.  The transitions dates currently may not be
> accurate, as you say, but if we determine a perfectly accurate
> transition date for a link, that is different from the location we link
> to, we no longer have a way of recording it in the database.

Given that the whole point of my message to which you are responding was
to describe in detail how this change doesn't affect our ability to record
accurate LMT transition dates for those zones, I'm not sure how to proceed
with this discussion.

So far as I can tell, nothing about this change makes it more difficult to
record an accurate LMT transition date for those zones.  The editing steps
required to record that information in the database files will be slightly
different.  That's all.

Apologies for just saying the same thing again in different words, but I'm
not quite sure what else to say.