[tz] draft of change summary for next tz release PS

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Wed Sep 18 14:50:21 UTC 2013

On 9/17/13 11:38 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

>      Some zones have been turned into links, when they differ from
>      existing zones only in older data that was likely invented or that
>      differs only in LMT or transition from LMT.
>      ... Europe/Vaduz.

I have already pointed out that it is wrong to link Europe/Vaduz with
Europe/Zurich

Vaduz (Liechtenstein) is a different country, with a different timezone
history: no DST in 1941 and 1942. It should not be linked with Zurich,
Switzerland.

I do not understand why the current zone for Vaduz, which is correct,
should be thrown away and be replaced with a link to an incorrect zone.

This is against the Theory rules, as pre-1970 differences are supposed
to be only ignored for areas belonging to the same country.

PS:
If it is really true that from now on, you want to ingnore differences
between countries, if they apply only to pre-1970, when since 1970 the
two countries agree, you would also have to remove Europe/Paris and link
it with Europe/Berlin, because since 1970 these two zones have not differed.

The same appleies to MANY central European zones, which all agree since
1970.

It would be a horrible loss of correct history information in TZ.