[tz] draft of change summary for next tz release

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Thu Sep 19 09:05:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Lester Caine wrote:
>Alan Barrett wrote:
>>Of course, any OS vendor can do its own separation of changes into different
>>categories, and merge only the uncontroversial tzdata changes into OS release
>>branches.  The question has never come up before, for NetBSD, because we have
>>not been aware of such controversial changes before.
>
>I have to ask ... where do you stand on omitting pre-1972 data?

In the short term, I think that the tz project should stick to the
existing practice of using 1970 as a cutoff date.

In the long term, think that the tz project should attempt to
provide as much high-quality data as is reasonably feasible, and
that users of the tz data should have the ability to "winnow" and
install only a subset of the data.  Here, users of the tz data
includes OS vendors, appliance vendors, other software projects,
software packagers, system administrators, and end users.

--apb (Alan Barrett)