[tz] draft of change summary for next tz release

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 19 18:42:55 UTC 2013

Andy Heninger <aheninger at google.com> writes:

> While noisy, I think the very public development process is a good
> thing, and that we will end up with better data overall as a result. I
> don't see this as being at all incompatible with having quick, small
> updates for late breaking rule changes.

The tricky part with quick, small releases is that, if you've already
staged things for the next release, you have to revert those changes or
you have to branch.  (You can, of course, branch proactively to do the
staging, but it amounts to the same thing.)

This means an additional level of complexity to the development process
and possibly the versioning process that historically hasn't been used,
and basically means more work for Paul.