[tz] McMurdo/South Pole

Meno Hochschild mhochschild at gmx.de
Mon Sep 23 02:48:03 UTC 2013

I completely agree with the analysis of Guy Harris and would add
following notice for participants who are not quite firm in Java APIs.

Up to now standard Java-APIs like the class java.util.GregorianCalendar
force the users to apply timezone calculations even in use cases where
it is not appropriate at all. Example: Calculation of age differences of
living persons. While it would be totally okay to base such a
calculation on purely julian days without even considering timezone
offsets the sad practise is that users have to use a timezone dependent
data type to do such calculations. So they often implicitly apply tz
calculations and are therefore strongly dependent on accuracy of tz data
even pre 1970. Looking at this background it is surely understandable
that some java users are now so concerned about newly publicized changes
of tz data where they in former times never bothered about it but just
took the tz data for granted or didn't even see involved tz calculations
in their own software.

Well, the new JSR-310-Date-And-Time-API (S. Colebourne is one of the
project leaders) has finally introduced alternative types like LocalDate
which is independent of timezone data. That is a huge improvement. But
unfortunately JSR-310 also continues the traditional way to return *an*
answer for ALL times regarding to timezone calculations i.e. does not
have a concept of limited validity of such requests - see the new java
class ZonedDateTime. Furthermore, the old timezone dependent types in
Java will still continue to exist (probably for ever) and are not even
declared as deprecated - a huge accident. But for all this stuff, the
tzdb itself is not responsible for.

Summarizing this I get the impression that the whole discussion here is
mainly because external api problems are projected into the tz mailing
list. But I think it would be better for external users of tzdb like api
designers to think for example about new validity concepts when
formulating requests of tz data. And this mailing list can then simply
be limited to traditional timekeeping tasks and timezone research. Just
my 2 coins.