[tz] Cellphone tz updates often not happening in Israel

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 21:08:40 UTC 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 1:32 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron at dbaron.org> wrote:

> It also seems odd that these phones didn't have their time adjusted
> as a result of receiving NITZ messages from cell towers with the
> correct UTC offset.  I thought that using time and timezone
> information from the cell network was the typical default
> configuration on smartphones (which makes having an up-to-date
> timezone database less critical).

The C library in the smartphone OS that I think has the highest market share uses the tz code:

	https://github.com/android/platform_bionic/tree/master/libc/tzcode

as does the C library in the smartphone OS that has the second-highest market share (as it's all Darwin down there).

Whether, when running on a machine with mobile phone access, something in the software checks whether the time zone offset from the cell phone tower agrees with the time zone offset from the tzdb, and does something to handle that, is another matter.