[tz] [tzdb] Re: Proposed patch - Theory change to reinstate reference to ISO-3166

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Sep 6 22:37:32 UTC 2013

Tobias Conradi said:
>> They are three _versions of_ one
>> standard
> Now we have
> 1) edition (Wikipedia)
> 2) revision (Clive)
> 3) version (random832)
>
>> - the later version supersedes the earlier ones.
> The ISO website uses the verb "revise".

When you revise the document, you get a new version. If the revision is
printed as a single impression, that is a new edition.

See sections 9.5 to 9.9 of ISO/IEC Guide 2.

>> This is
>> entirely obvious from the names, and needs no further source.
> I vote for disallowing such comments on the tz mailing list.

I could vote for your comments to be disallowed. Thankfully this isn't
subject to a vote.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.