[tz] Time zones in Ukraine

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue Apr 15 04:04:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 17:14, Nickolay Olshevsky wrote:
> Hi.
> I am aware about tz database for a while, and today, during FreeBSD
> installation found out that it still propose ancient and non-usable
> zones like Ruthenia, Zaporozhye or Crimea for time zone in Ukraine,
> while for last years only one time zone exists at the whole Ukraine area
> (except Crimea for now).

Ruthenia used a different timezone in 1990 and 1991. You may have files
from 1990 or 1991, therefore you need to select that time zone to
accurately display the time of day those files were created/modified.

It sounds silly, but it's the design philosophy of the tz database. It's
not like this doesn't happen in America. I'm from Indiana - look at how
many timezones it has, instead of just using Chicago and New York. There
are eight designated cities in indiana, plus areas where you are meant
to use Chicago, Louisville, and New York.

The US has 29 zones overall, when it "should" have only eight.