[tz] re : Time zones in Ukraine

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 13:20:23 UTC 2014

On 17/04/2014 13:29, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 6:47, Marc Lehmann wrote:
>> Imagine you created a file on such a system in 1989, using those
>> rules. Then the local time you created it in is the ruthenia one - the
>> kiev rules would likely give you the wrong time.
>
> And yet we don't care to store what timezone the file was created in,
> whereas the system might have been somewhere else in 1989 and moved to
> Ruthenia now.

Unix systems store the timestamp in universal time, so the local
timezone the system was in at the time the file was
created/modified/accessed shouldn't matter (assuming the system time was
set correctly).

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-