[tz] re : Time zones in Ukraine

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu Apr 17 13:39:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 08:29:52AM -0400, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> And yet we don't care to store what timezone the file was created in,

What _we_ care is pretty irrelevant, and some systems do store the
timezone, after all, if you have a posix timestamp and an archived
timezone id, you already have such a system.

What's relevant is that the correct answer to "what was the
creation/modification/change/whatever time of the file" depends on the
timezone that this is being asked for, and for that question the ruthenia
rules are as "active" as the kiev rules. Indeed, that's true for any
question of the form "what local time does this timestamp refer to".

If the question is "what local time is it right now" then indeed, ruthenia
isn't relevant (at least right now :), but that's arguably not even the
most common question being asked.

My point is that "active" with regards to this database refers to
"different after the cutoff date", and the cutoff date is not "right now"
but 1970.

In fact, a cutoff date of "right now" would probably be quite difficult to
even define.

      ----==-- _       generation
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de