[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 1 00:53:23 UTC 2014

Alan Barrett wrote:

> The maintenance burden of making similar changes many times when many
> zones share modern history could be eased by new syntax in the input files

It'd be nice to extend the zic input syntax along those lines, but
that's not something we can plausibly do before the next release.  And
even if we extended zic, we couldn't use the new syntax in the data for
several years, because it'd take that long for the zic changes to
propagate out to the field.  Finally, it isn't much of a maintenance
burden to keep the bogus data in the current format; the main problem
with the bogus data is that it's bogus, not that it needs formatting.