[tz] 2014f and Russia

gunther Vermeir gunther.vermeir at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 23:48:48 UTC 2014

On 31/07/14 22:47, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
>> may I suggest that we expedite the release of the changes for Russia
>> in 2014f, and defer any contentious changes to a subsequent release?
>
> We could release just the Russia changes, but I think it'd be better
> to hash out differences one way or another on the relatively minor
> issues that have seen so much email recently, so that downstream users
> can do proper integration testing as mentioned by Andy Heninger a
> couple of weeks ago.  This shouldn't take too long (I'm thinking days
> rather than weeks) and should give a reasonable amount of lead time
> for the late-October Russia changes.
I'm one of those relatively long lead time consumers :)
In my case it would be highly beneficial to have an 2014f release with
only the October Russia changes .

Seen, besides these RU changes , there are no future DST changes pending
would it not be a good idea to release 2014f with these RU changes only
(compared to 2014e) and then release an 2014g that has the other changes?

that way the updated RU rules can be directly consumed and then testing
can be done without any immediate "pressure".

I can brew my own "2014f with these RU changes only (compared to 2014e)"
but i prefer to follow the standard IANA releases to avoid confusion .

Gunther