[tz] Proposed reversions, for moving forward

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 07:56:58 UTC 2014

On 07/08/14 11:43, Derick Rethans wrote:

>> > It doesn't make *me* happy either.  I'd prefer doing these cleanups all at
>> > once to get them over with, but I'm willing to live with doing them more
>> > gradually, they way they've been done for many years.
>> > No end-user problems
>> > have been reported in all that time, and there's no reason to expect
>> > significant problems in the future as we continue to muck out the stables.
> I'll give you one here then, where PHP's CI started failing (more) since
> the upgrade to 2014f:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/php/php-src/jobs/31891549#L910
>
> I realize it's because acronyms changed *only* here, but making changes
> most certainly has effects on other systems.

Derick - I still have some trouble marrying up the travis output, but
only because I'm used to graphic tools which highlight the exact diffs. ;)
All of these regressions are for 2010, so a period when we are well into
what should be accurately known data? Certainly in a period when this
data may well have been used live in the field. The problem that I see
is now documenting that users may see the times they were using only 4
years ago change?

Paul - The whole point of regression tests is to establish why something
changed and check that every change is more correct than the last. If
not then the change should be reverted. The PHP tests are only covering
a small time frame and given the amount of work needed to cross check
every failure just on those tests I'd support Derick just replacing the
old result set with a new one, but while blanket changes like that are
justifiable for pre-1970 data, for 4 years ago?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL