[tz] The case against time zones

Patrice Scattolin patrice.scattolin at oracle.com
Fri Aug 8 13:32:21 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 4:52 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> It's only now we have a stable time source that we see the problem ...
> and that is perhaps because someone got the duration of a second
> wrong? Add a few more cycles to a second as they would have done 100
> years ago by resetting the Greenwich clock :)

No, it's the length of the earth day that is changing over time as
earth's rotation slows due to natural forces.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-in-the-jurassic-era-an-earth-day-may-have-been-only-23-hours-long/2013/09/23/a75c548a-f2dc-11e2-ae43-b31dc363c3bf_story.html

--

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Patrice Scattolin | Principal Member Technical Staff | 514.905.8744