[tz] Proposed reversions, for moving forward

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Aug 8 22:22:33 UTC 2014

On 8 August 2014 05:35, Eliot Lear <lear at cisco.com> wrote:

> Just for my own edification, it seems to me that there are some simple
> rules to follow.  Let me know if I'm even close:
>
> 1.  If the data is correct, there is no issue.
> 2.  If the data is known to be false, it should come out.
> 3.  If the data has no basis in fact (e.g., not known to be false but
> also no basis to believe it is true), it should come out.
> 4.  If the data has conflicting historical viewpoints, it is a judgment
> call based on the quality of the reports.

I think points 1, 2, and 4 are pretty much undisputed.  Point 3 is the
current point of contention, but I think we should be moving to a solution
wherein data like this that somehow got into previous releases despite
having no basis in fact should be removed from the main files and instead
be added to a separate file for data of "dubious" provenance, which users
can choose to use or ignore at-will.

--
Tim Parenti