[tz] The case against time zones

Matt Johnson mj1856 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 00:43:09 UTC 2014

> Note that for this to work, it would imply that the calendar and the
> day also has to be fixed in one timezone meaning that the transition
> between days will happen at different period of the local day, some
> switch at night, some in the middle of the day.

Exactly.  Time zones allow us to have a relevant meaning for "today",
"wednesday", "next saturday", etc.

My son learned the days of the week as sing-song in preschool.  I can
imagine if we abolished time zones that it would go something like this:

♬ "There are seven-ish days, there are seven-ish days, there are
seven-ish days in the week...   Sunday-Monday, Monday-Tuesday,
Tuesday-Wednesday, Wednesday-Thursday, Thursday-Friday, Friday-Saturday,
Saturday-Sunday..." ♬