[tz] Portuguese time zones - Africa/Luanda

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Sat Aug 9 10:01:59 UTC 2014

While playing with the data format, I had a look at Africa/Luanda. It
currently says:

Zone Africa/Luanda 0:52:56 - LMT 1892
0:52:04 - AOT 1911 May 26 # Angola Time
1:00 - WAT

Wikipedia has interesting details on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Portugal

"By the Decree of 26 May 1911, a reform was approved regarding
standard time in Portugal and in its overseas Empire"
"These time zones were adopted on 1 January 1912."

With the Portuguese law linked:
http://dre.pt/pdf1sdip/1911/05/12500/23132313.pdf

I'd suggest that the data should be changed from 1911 May 26 to 1
January 1912, but I don't have much Portuguese language expertise to
confirm this...

The Africa file has no details on the 1892 change.

Note that the Wikipedia page and law includes other countries as well.

I send this because (a) currently it seems wrong and (b) it is
evidence that some historic data can be found and should not be lost.

Stephen