[tz] Before 1970 - proposal to change LMT

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 12 06:37:48 UTC 2014

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> That means an LMT value of some actual relevance to each significant
> zone in the database (where significant is at least one zone per ISO
> region).

That's not common practice; we've long had links that cross national
boundaries.  The classic example is Europe/Vatican but there are several
others.  Europe/Bratislava, for example has been a link to Europe/Prague
ever since it was introduced in 1993, and it's Slovakia's only
representative.  There isn't a real need for a separate LMT placeholder
per country.  They're just placeholders, after all.