[tz] Regression Tests and Revision Controls

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 22:16:26 UTC 2014

On 14/08/14 18:15, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> Something that has a cutoff of 1970 will not be acceptable
>
> The proposed 'backzone' file does not have a cutoff of 1970.  Please see:
>
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2014-August/021388.html

This is probably a discussion for tzdist ... My reading of the paperwork
so far is that it is planned to have a full range base, and then sources
that are supplying truncated data identify the fact, but what is not
clear is how new historic data that identifies that a current timezone
now has two historic routes. The planing seems to be based on tz zones,
but as with all of these things there is no planning to manage tz
identifiers.

Can we not just describe 'backzone' as historic data. That the
provenance of some material is 'poorly-sourced' just needs to be
properly flagged within the file. The source comments forming part of
the main files need to be reproduced in the history file to identify
where data IS well sourced. I'm looking at the Jersey and Gernsey data
there, but a quick scan on other historic entries which currently have
no comments seem to have the source material in their main files?
Hopefully what is then left is a better identified residue of suspect
entries?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL