[tz] The case against time zones

Patrice Scattolin patrice.scattolin at oracle.com
Sat Aug 16 12:16:24 UTC 2014

It would be a small sacrifice for the Physics community for the betterment of mankind.

Alas it was never meant to be. Because even if you change the second, you don't eliminate the need for the leap second. Luckikly with the current lenght we always need to add seconds. With a better second the error would be randomly distributed on both sides. I am not aware of a case where we have to remove an extraneous second. Imagine a day that is missing a second and ends with 11:59:58!