[tz] DST ended 14 hours early for one British clock in fall 1916

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 27 01:44:00 UTC 2014

The online Wall Street Journal has a World War I Centenary series, and
its Daylight-Saving Time page has a photo captioned "A notice informs
the British public of a change in time as clocks go back an hour in the
first year of daylight saving on Oct. 1, 1916. Topical Press
Agency/Getty Images".

The interesting thing about the notice is that its transition is off by
14 hours compared to our data.  The notice is under a large outdoor
hanging clock and says "CHANGE OF TIME. AT 1 P.M. SEPT 30th THIS CLOCK
WILL BE SET BACK ONE HOUR TO GREENWICH TIME".  Perhaps the clock's
operator didn't want to bother changing the clock at the official
transition time of 3 A.M. the next day.

Fidler S. Daylight-saving time. Wall Street Journal.
http://online.wsj.com/ww1/daylight-saving-time