[tz] time zone 1948

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Dec 8 17:26:59 UTC 2014

On 6 December 2014 at 07:56, Donald MacQueen <dmacq at erols.com> wrote:

> At 1 am on August 17, 1948 in the America/New_York time zone, DST was in
> effect.

It's not quite that simple.  "From 1945 to 1966, there was no federal law
regarding Daylight Saving Time, so states and localities were free to
choose whether or not to observe Daylight Saving Time and could choose when
it began and ended." (http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html)

If I recall correctly, it was larger cities such as New York City and
Washington, DC which continued to observe DST fairly regularly during this
period.  So if the question boils down to whether a Marine Base near
Washington, DC observed DST during the summer of 1948, I would be strongly
inclined to guess "yes".  This is purely speculative, though.

--
Tim Parenti