[tz] Info regarding TZ database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 09:17:15 UTC 2014

On 16/12/14 05:58, Naveed Shakur wrote:
> Good day
> My name is Naveed and I have some query regarding the TZ database, is it
> possible to query the timezone database maintained by IANA or any other
> possible solution to have a local copy of the same at our own premises,
> we have to integrate with our in-house application with timezone
> information.

tzdist is a working group of IANA currently trying to formalise an API
to allow TZ data to be supplied as a service. There are demo servers but
nothing has been formally published yet.

There is a bit of a sticking point at the moment as to whether the
service needs to worry about the 'version' of TZ data served up, and the
original draft simply assumed that the latest version of TZ is all that
is needed, but I have a problem with that since material published today
using today's version of TZ may be broken if a later version is used
without any means of identifying the fact.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL