[tz] Fwd: [apps-discuss] Proposed working group: Timezone Data Distribution Service (tzdist)

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 3 15:49:13 UTC 2014

On Jul 3, 2014, at 1:49 AM, John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:

> On 3 July 2014 09:11, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it should be rethought at this point (in a fashion that don't involve changing every program that uses localtime() or mktime(), of course; requiring a change doesn't help).
>
> Oh no, localtime() and especially mktime() very much need to change,
> or rather to be replaced.

Replaced, but not eliminated.  I'm sure you realize that neither localtime() or mktime() are going to disappear any time soon, given that they appear in multiple standards and are used in a lot of software, and that a change that requires every program that uses them to change simply isn't going to happen for many years (I'd say at least a decade).