[tz] Transitions specified for February 29th

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Mon Jul 7 19:09:09 UTC 2014

I'm just going through my Noda Time <http://nodatime.org> code for time
zone handling, and I've noticed I'm being even more defensive than normal,
by handling the situation where a time zone transition is specified to
occur on the 29th of February - I skip forward or backwards to the nearest
leap year.

This feels like it's overkill to me, and that it would be better just to
prohibit this situation from occurring in my code, *if* it's widely
accepted to be invalid data.

Is there anything specifying the behaviour if such data is presented? I
could try running the zoneinfo compiler myself, but I suspect it would take
a long time to get all the tools sorted, and I wouldn't be certain of
interpreting the outcome properly. If anyone just *knows,* that would save
me a lot of effort :)

Jon