[tz] Bug report for the tzcode2014e.tar.gz, patch included.

John Cochran j69cochran at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 18:43:24 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I was recently working on an open source project seeing about updating some
code based upon the 2010c version of your timezone code and bringing the
code up to date based upon your 2014e version. In the process of doing
this, I noticed some unneeded object files being linked together in order
to create the zic program.

As specified by your Makefile, zic is comprised of zic.o, localtime.o,
asctime.o, scheck.o, and ialloc.o
But as it turns out, localtime.o doesn't supply any symbols that zic.o
needs. Additionally, the inclusion of asctime.o is there in order to
satisfy a linkage requirement for localtime.o.
So zic can be built by linking only zic.o, scheck.o, and ialloc.o together.

A context diff of the proposed fix is attached.

Sincerely,
John Cochran
--

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to