[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Jul 25 22:59:57 UTC 2014

On 25 July 2014 10:12, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne at joda.org> wrote:

> I have taken the latest in the GitHub repo and expanded them out into
> actual resolved results.

Thanks for this.

On 25 July 2014 10:12, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne at joda.org> wrote:

> Is there consensus on the list that all of these changes are better
> than what went before?

On the contrary, I don't recall seeing anyone but Paul voicing support for
the changes in the Pacific
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/662016b64ae64bc8d2680f349d1a7813dc1ee536>
and Africa
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/4b4e789d5c5ee79366b4606d139cbb9eb1d5a28d>,
whether before or since the partial rollback
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/f1ddf32f059c17fa5a1ec24f549d70db36dc5fa9>.
(Referring to the threads starting here
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2014-July/thread.html#21170> and here
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2014-July/thread.html#21177>.)

I also think that, if we want to replace zone.tab with something better, we
should take the time now to make sure its replacement doesn't
unintentionally retain any major shortcomings of the previous version, so
we don't find ourselves needing to supersede it again too soon.  This is
the proper time to do a bit of forward-thinking: BEFORE releasing a new
file or format into the wild.

--
Tim Parenti