[tz] Proposal: Use Git and Github better

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sun Jul 27 23:30:55 UTC 2014

Thanks, Matt, for getting the ball rolling on this.  I had been wrestling
for a few days over how to write something similar, but you seem to have
touched on most of the major points.

No matter how much we say it is merely “experimental,” simply having a
public repository available to act as a central and timely source for
changes has apparently caused many to see it as “blessed.”  This is not
inherently a bad thing, but we need to adapt our behavior accordingly.

*With regard to Items 1 and 4,* we absolutely should be making use of
branches, for all the reasons you mentioned.  Currently, most patches are
submitted to the list, reviewed, and then applied to master; however,
patches authored by Paul are applied directly to master, and those changes
are reviewed and defended afterwards.  Clearly, this disparity has been an
issue recently, and I sense that it is the source of much of the shock some
are experiencing over the proposed major changes.  Though I personally
believe Paul has made his edits in good faith, I can also easily see how
the idea that the repository is simply “Paul’s playground” may have
developed amongst others.

I would add that if the master branch is always in a state of “positive
agreement,” as it should be, then it is also always “ready for release.”
Every push to master should effectively be a release candidate.  For us,
this may still mean that obvious and urgent hotfixes to data go straight to
master, but this should not be the norm, especially for maintenance tasks.
In particular, it means that the proposed zone-linking and introduction of
time.tab should be done on separate branches to allow for debate and
further refinement of those ideas before this project commits itself to
their use.

To this effect, I agree that it would be better that the repository not be
associated with Paul’s personal account; however, as long as the master
branch is given due deference, this concern becomes somewhat less pressing.

*With regard to Items 2 and 3,* while I’m all for using what Git has to
offer, I’m extremely wary of locking ourselves into Github or any other
similar service.  Others have written, far better than I could, about how
the Github pull request system subverts or otherwise “breaks”
<http://laurent.bachelier.name/2012/05/github-kinda-sucks/> the core
functionality of Git.  If it were up to me, I’d disable pull requests
entirely and exclusively use the mailing list, which keeps more complete
(albeit messier) archives.  Alas, Github does not allow pull requests to be
disabled.  This may mean that Github is not the right place for our
repository.

Further, Github’s communication tools on pull requests and issues are
simply far less flexible than email.  I’d also rather keep our barrier of
entry low, so that even someone who knows nothing about Git can still
submit well-thought changes to the list.  For the simplest patches we see,
a pull request is simply too much overhead.

Even without using pull requests, though, forks can be very useful for
sharing branches.  For all but the simplest patches, we can each alert the
list when we have a branch ready for consideration, copying the proposed
patches to the list for archival, while also providing a link to the branch
for easy review.  For large changes, one can use this method in conjunction
with the flexibility of email to get input from a few more people before
presenting a more refined set of changes to the full list.  We generally
have a low enough throughput that it may still be okay to copy commits over
into master once this process is complete, to avoid messy merges.

In any case, given how central this system has recently become to our
project, we should definitely add clear guidance to both our own
documentation and the IANA pages, conveying how we collectively choose to
use (or not use) the features of Github or any similar service.  Right now,
no such guidance exists.  Hopefully this discussion acts as a starting
point for that.

*With regard to Item 5,* I would point out that, often, code changes are
necessitated by corresponding changes in data.  Breaking apart into
separate projects would make these connections far less obvious, and so I
would prefer that our work remain unified under a single repository.

*I would also like to add Item 6:* Proper use of commits as individual
units for review.  For us, commits don’t necessarily need to be absolutely
minimal; my personal goal is merely that each contains only highly-related
changes and is understandable on its own.  I tried to obey this principle
while developing my recent contributions regarding Russia’s changes.
 (Believe me, I didn’t write them as four neat little patches from the
start!)  It is inappropriate to batch together several unrelated changes
and push them as a single commit, as this makes reviewing more difficult.

A recent example is commit f1ddf32f059c17fa5a1ec24f549d70db36dc5fa9
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/f1ddf32f059c17fa5a1ec24f549d70db36dc5fa9>
of
2014-07-15, in which Paul partially reverts his earlier zone-to-link
changes, but also adds several fixes and bits of commentary which he
discovered while researching the changes.  In the case that further
reversions become necessary, this makes it very difficult to tease out the
“good” from the “bad.”  (This is only exacerbated by our non-use of
branches.)

I will try to model these best practices — especially with regard to Items
2, 3, and 6 — in a separate email I will send shortly, proposing reversions
to the current state of the repository so that we can hopefully adopt these
(or similar) best practices from there.

--
Tim Parenti