[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Zoidsoft zoidsoft at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 06:29:39 UTC 2014

I think throwing out data because it is wrong is a mistake.  There is a
matter of degree here and since tz info is not authoritative anyway, little
is to be gained.  Do we think that we can approach anything like 99.99%
accuracy by getting rid of suspect data and therefore make the claim that
it is more "authoritative"?  I think not. Certainty about what time was
showing on most clocks in a given area will always be approximate until
there is a global control mechanism for setting time zones legally and
technically which probably won't happen until there is a one world
government (don't hold your breath).  There are approximately 60 Amish
farms in the Pulaski, NY area all of which observe standard time year round
and since we do business with them we have to remember to keep 2 clocks.
 This was not even an issue a decade ago.

I really wish that Shanks et al had not "guessed" at transition times, but
instead included reports about what transitions were certain and then
showed instead the date ranges where there was uncertainty.  They probably
interpolated between two reports that they could find in their original
research, but since they didn't publish their procedures this is a guess on
my part.  Since there are wide uses for this data I have to agree with
Stephen Colebourne here.