[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 09:37:26 UTC 2014

On 27/07/14 10:37, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> As an example, consider Sierra Leone
> https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/4b4e789d5c5ee79366b4606d139cbb9eb1d5a28d#diff-f4f52c274b8b0af7593e8d85f45ae7f1L1070
> https://github.com/jodastephen/tzdiff/commit/c812da9e12bd6f8aa52fa2dd758e236581c23a29#diff-2bfd47a6358d362c0bd99625a1ab8532L1
> where two separate sets of DST affecting 13 years and dates as recent
> as 1960 have been obilterated. Where is the discussion of this
> specific (huge) change? Where is the justification?

That there is very good data for a lot of pre-1970 timezones is a fact,
but the blocking of updating that information has been flagged before.
We NEED an historically correct set of data which I had thought that was
now accepted, but it seems not? If tz is not going to provide a usable
table of data for pre-1970 data then one again we need to provide an
alternative ...
That some current materials provenance is suspect does not remove the
need for something stable which flags that timezone/daylight saving was
in place is still needed.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL