[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Tue Jul 29 04:28:13 UTC 2014

Marc Lehmann <schmorp at schmorp.de> writes:
> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at davros.org> wrote:

>> I don't agree. If we know or have good reason to believe that the data
>> is completely bogus, then there's no point in retaining it.

> Clive, you seem to be not following the discussions. You can argue that
> _you think_ it is pointless, but you cannot just ignore the perfectly
> good points others have made, foremost that of the value of stability
> itself, quality being equal.

He isn't ignoring anything.  He just doesn't agree with you, and I suspect
doesn't think that your arguments are as good as you think they are.

For what it's worth, I agree with Clive as well.  I don't see any point in
retaining data that is either known to be wrong or that is highly likely
to be wrong, and I think retaining it is harmful (if in a fairly minor
way).

There are a few vocal people here who get very excited and frantic every
time Paul tries to change something.  I am unconvinced that their position
is as important as they think it is, or that the issues are anywhere near
as significant as they think they are.  Regardless, the fact that they're
very persistent and vocal about their positions doesn't make them right,
nor does it mean that everyone agrees with them.

Some of us are just tired of repeating the same positions that we've
stated in the past and don't bother to do so every time there's another
flurry of OMG THE TZ DATABASE IS DESTROYED FOREVAR AND EVAR WHY DO YOU
HATE THE KITTENZ???!?!?!

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>