[tz] changes to the TZ database over versions

Joris Van den Bogaert jorisvdb at esus.com
Sun Jun 1 16:03:53 UTC 2014

Hi Angel,
> Matching geo data to a timezone is a bit fuzzy. On the
> other hand, you state that correct calculation is critical.

We’re working with old protocols that don’t include TZ information in the data that is sent to us, so we have to get thet TZ info through geo mapping tables.
We’ve been looking at geopostcodes.com.
We’d like it to be as correct as possible, but realize it’s not possible to cover everything.
Eg. 2014-10-26T02:05:00 may refer to 2014-10-26T02:05:00.000+02:00 or 2014-10-26T02:05:00.000+01:00

> Now I'm thinking that perhaps you aren't working on historic
> records but with future ones, in which case it's very likely that
> tz will be right (but in that case why not store them in UTC directly?)

Our data is all about real-time events, but when reports need to be regenerated for some reason in the future, they will be historic.  Hence the questions about tz versions.

Cheers,
Joris