[tz] usno* files

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Jun 25 20:09:40 UTC 2014

(was Further un-ASCII-fication and typos)

Unfortunately, this commit (363a1be6dfb3c0e5398b28cb4f0f3778157ddbe7
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/363a1be6dfb3c0e5398b28cb4f0f3778157ddbe7>)
introduced changes to usno1989, which specifically says at the top that "no
corrections have been made"; that is, it is unchanged from the original.
This is distinct from usno1989a, which appears to be the same data, but
corrected.

This raises the question, why are we retaining the usno* files in the first
place?  Although I'm sure there was a reason originally, it seems to have
faded over time, and the most recent edition is 16 years old.  I would be
surprised if we didn't already have all this information elsewhere.

--
Tim Parenti