[tz] China time zones 1949 - 1980: appeal to speakers of Mandarin

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:39:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Alois Treindl <alois at astro.ch> wrote:

> I appeal to those readers of the mailing list capable of reading Chinese /
> mandarin to look for sources which could
> - document that multiple timezones where indeed maintained before May 1980
> (e.g. railway or airline time tables of that period),
> - document the transition to a unified zone in May 1980 (legal text,
> newspaper articles mentioning the time change)
> - document the government decision for a unified timezone in 1949
>
> My gut feeling is that the unified timezone was introduced in 1949, and
> that Shanks got it wrong. We need documents to establish that.

I refer to: http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/caac56/<http://bit.ly/1nMKS46>,
which has clean scans of the Civil Aviation Administration of China's
1956 timetable.  As far as I can make out from calculating flight times,
all places in China that CAAC flew to had the same timezone.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane